Our team specialises in both front end transactional services and advice, and back end resolution of claims. We have particular expertise in the context of:
We have in depth knowledge and experience in all aspects of land assembly by Government, whether by compulsory process or by agreement, including:
- Advising Government agencies on the process and availability of compulsory acquisition powers.
- Representing authorities under the throughout the compulsory acquisition process from reservation of land to the acquisition itself and management and resolution of related claims for compensation.
- Representing authorities in 'disputed claims' under the referred to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal or Supreme Court of Victoria for determination.
- Advising Government agencies on alternatives to compulsory acquisition, including divestment of land held by public authorities and municipal councils.
- Liaising with key government agencies involved in the acquisition of land, including the Victorian Government Land Monitor and the Valuer-General Victoria.
- Attending to conveyancing and all ancillary transactions required in the .
- Providing strategic advice on the reservation of land for public purposes and related planning controls such as precinct structure plans.
- Advising acquiring authorities in their capacity as referral authorities for planning permit applications.
- Assessing claims for compensation including whether claimants are eligible to claim compensation at all.
- Liaising with key government agencies involved in the assessment of compensation, including the Victorian Government Land Monitor and the Valuer-General Victoria.
- Representing authorities in 'disputed claims' referred to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal or Supreme Court of Victoria for determination.
We have specialised knowledge on the acquisition of private and public land for major projects. We regularly advise project authorities on land assembly, land access and the exercise of powers under project legislation, including:
- Declared major transport projects under the .
- Projects of State or regional significance under Part 9A of the .
- Nominated projects under the .
- Designated road projects under the .
We work closely with our clients to understand their land requirements during all aspects of a project, from the planning and approvals stage through to delivery and completion of the project.
We regularly act for authorities under the and the in disputed compulsory acquisition and planning compensation claims referred to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal or Supreme Court of Victoria for determination, including on appeal. We have extensive experience advising and representing authorities in disputes related to:
- the assessment of market value of acquired interests, including unique or complex interests in land
- business, financial loss and other disturbance loss claims for compensation including in relation to loss of hypothetical development
- 'special value' and severance loss claims
- entitlement to and assessment of solatium
- complex or novel questions of entitlement to claim compensation.
Reviewed 23 June 2021