- LLB (Honours), BA (French), GDLP
- Area of law:
- Administrative decision making and review, Disciplinary proceedings and prosecutions, Royal commissions and inquiries, Civil litigation and dispute resolution (including personal injury)
Sarah Hickingbotham is a solicitor in the Inquiries, Prosecutions and Administrative Law Branch at the VGSO and has a broad practice, primarily providing advice and litigation services to a range of departments and public entities.
She has a broad practice, primarily providing advice and litigation services to a range of departments and public entities in a variety of matters including:
• prosecuting indictable and summary offences on behalf of a range of regulators and statutory authorities
• advising clients on statutory interpretation, regulatory regimes and the scope of statutory powers
• disciplinary proceedings and professional misconduct matters
• conducting historical abuse claim settlements
Sarah also assists the VGSO Commissions and Inquiries team with supporting the State in its engagement with the Yoorrook Justice Commission, Royal Commission into Defence and Veteran Suicide and the Parliamentary Inquiry into the 2022 Flood Event. Her practice includes assisting the State by providing advice on statutory secrecy, the scope of powers and privileges of state and federal Commissions and preparing state witnesses to give evidence.
Prior to joining the VGSO, Sarah worked as a solicitor at the Office of Public Prosecutions where she prepared and instructed at committals, plea hearings, trials and other hearings in the Magistrates' and County Court.
- Snezana Angeleska v Victorian Legal Admissions Board (2023): representing VLAB in relation to a Court of Appeal application for leave to appeal.
- Games Management Authority (2023): provided advice on statutory interpretation of the Wildlife Act and Games Management Authority Act
Prosecutions / Criminal Law
- Department of Education v LUU (2023): conducting prosecution in relation to Department of Education charges in relation to an unlicensed childcare center.
- Victoria Police v LUU (2023): interviewed two witnesses to prepare witness statement as well as witness preparation
- LGI v Stefano De Pieri (2023): prosecution on behalf of LGI in relation to misconduct of public office.
- Office of Public Prosecutions (OPP) (2022-23)
- Trial division prosecution matters: Worked as a solicitor at the Office of Public Prosecutions where I prepared and instructed in committals, plea hearings, trials and other hearings in the Magistrates' and County Court
- Advice on pursuing prosecutions: completed s 127 advice to Victoria Police on whether there are prospects of conviction
- Advice on Crimes Mental Impairment Act matters: completed advice to Victoria Police on whether to uplift a CMIA matter to the committal stream
- Supervision Order matters: instructed in breach of supervision order matters for serious offenders in the County Court
- Completed subpoenas for production to the Supreme Court of Victoria at the OPP
- Assisted in freedom of information requests.
- ARBV Inquiries (2023)
- Michael Ellis Inquiry: drafted Notice of Inquiry and preparation for hearings at Tribunal
- Steven Carter Inquiry: drafted Notice of Inquiry and preparation for hearings at Tribunal
- Parliamentary Inquiry into the 2022 Flood Event (2023): assisted in witness preparation of government witness panels
- Yoorrook Justice Commission (2023): assisted in the Commission by completing document review and responding to notices to produce as well as witness preparation.
- Royal Commission into Defence and Veteran Suicide (2023): assisted in witness preparation for government witnesses
- Royal Commission into the Management of Police Informants (OPP in 2022): I assisted in the team addressing the recommendations from the Royal Commission report
- Unlitigated matter of David Power v State of Victoria
- Litigated matter of Phillip Kent v State of Victoria