The VGSO's Workplace Relations and Occupational Safety Branch invites you to join our annual Year in Review webinar.
We will provide you with a useful summary of the key ER/IR/OHS decisions in 2021 relevant for the Victorian Public Sector. We will also discuss key issues for Victorian Public Sector employers in 2022.
Webinar topics (and relevant cases)
Mandatory vaccinations, and employer rights and responsibilities in minimising the spread of COVID-19 in the workplace:
- Jennifer Kimber v Sapphire Coast Community Aged Care Ltd  FWCFB 6015
- CFMMEU v Mt Arthur Coal  FWCFB 6059
- QNurses First Inc v Monash Health  FCA 1372
- Beydoun & Ors v Northern Health  FWC 6341
- other key mandatory vaccination cases.
Recent High Court decisions concerning casual employment, employment vs contracting arrangements, the interaction between Codes of Conduct and freedom of speech and reasonable steps employers must take to minimise the risk of psychological injury in the workplace:
- Workpac Pty Ltd v Rossato  HCA 23
- ZG Operations Australia Pty Ltd & Ors v Jamsek & Ors  FCAFC 119
- CFMMEU v Personnel Contracting Pty Ltd  FCAFC 122
- Ridd v James Cook University  HCA 32
- Kozarov v State of Victoria  VSCA 301.
Trends in OHS litigation and important OHS legislative amendments:
- DPP v MacKillop Family Services Ltd  VCC 1810
- Hooper, Malcolm & Oxymed Australia P/L (ACN 606 641 954) v DPP  VSCA 68
- Occupational Health and Safety and other Legislation Amendment Act 2021 (Vic)
Tips and traps when terminating public service and public sector executives in accordance with the VPSC standard executive contracts:
- Schneider v Warrnambool City Council  VSC 337
Key decisions in the general protections jurisdiction including how to effectively discharge the reverse onus of proof:
- TechnologyOne Ltd v Roohizadegan  FCAFC 137
- Wong v National Australia Bank Limited  FCA 671
- Transport Workers’ Union of Australia v Qantas Airways Limited  FCA 873
We'll also cover other key cases that should be on your radar.
This event will run for 1.5 hours given the content and to allow for questions and answers at the end.
Reviewed 01 February 2022