- Monday, 21 February 2022 2:00 pm
The VGSO Technology and Data Protection Practice Group runs quarterly practice group meetings for members of the VGSO, and for our Victorian Public Service (VPS) colleagues who have an interest in technology and data.
Please join us for an online webinar on Monday 21 February at 2.00pm, hosted by Bea Stathy, Managing Principal Solicitor, and presented by Stuart Taylor, Senior Solicitor, and Kathleen Beirne, Solicitor, from the VGSO.
The COVID-19 pandemic has had a considerable impact on the way the VPS works. It has forced VPS organisations to quickly secure the work-from-home environments of their staff, and to manage the risks of increased network traffic. These repercussions have altered the volume and risk profile of the data held by the VPS.
In this session we will:
- explore the nature of VPS data
- the role of government as a trustworthy custodian of information and the legal obligations which attach to it
- how the content of the State's legal obligations applies to:
- the changing nature of work
- the delivery of VPS services, and
- the increasingly global nature of information technology services.
More particularly, we will discuss the responsibilities of agencies to secure their data under the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014, Health Records Act 2001 and the Victorian Protective Data Security Framework and Standards. We will also explore issues concerning supply chain risk, minimising the risk of privacy breaches and data sovereignty.